Video FAQs

Will and Trusts Law

How can I leave specific items to particular people?

There are two ways to do this. One way is to do it in your will. Under this approach, you identify the item and you identify the person that is intended to receive it. This is a formal approach to leaving a specific request. The second way of doing this is to utilize what’s called a tangible personal property memorandum. A tangible personal property memorandum is a very informal document that simply lists the item and identifies who is supposed to receive it. It doesn’t require a notary. It doesn’t require witnesses. It doesn’t require a lawyer to draft it up. It’s simply a list sometimes accompanied by photos of the items so that the item is readily identified that says, “Hey, so-and-so is supposed to get this.”